Residential development

Residential development applications vary for different types of buildings and developments. One permit may allow the development of a single-dwelling or multi-dwelling, for example.

Multi-dwelling developments

A multi-dwelling development is a parcel of land with two or more dwellings, such as townhouses, units or an apartment building. Multi-dwelling developments can also be part of mixed-use developments.

You must apply online for a multi-dwelling Planning Permit.

Single-dwelling developments

A single dwelling is a parcel of land with one dwelling, such as a single or double-storey house.

You must apply online for a single-dwelling Planning Permit.

Do I need a Planning Permit?

Whether you need a Planning Permit for a residential development depends on its zoning, location and size.

To determine if you need a Planning Permit, you can:

  • check the zoning and overlays of the site on the VicPlan website
  • read the text in the Glen Eira Planning Scheme to determine if a planning permit is required.

If you're still not sure if you need a permit, call us on 9524 3333.

What information do I need?

So we can process your application efficiently, please include:

  • payment of the relevant application fee (see our fees page for more information).
  • a Certificate of Title produced within the last 90 days. To get a Certificate of Title, order it online from the Land Data website or call Land Victoria on 8636 2456.
  • a copy of your plans at a scale of 1:100 or 1:200
  • written submission of how your application meets the relevant parts of the Glen Eira Planning Scheme.

In some cases you may also need to provide:

  • a Car Parking Demand Assessment if you aren't proposing to provide all of the required car parking on site.
  • specialist reports discussing acoustic treatments, waste management, or how your proposal responds to a surrounding heritage area.

If you also need planning permission for other related activities, such as renovations or change of use, it's best to include them all in the one application. Different applications need different information, so check the relevant guidelines or call us on 9524 3333 for help.



Related resources