- The 2019-20 budget is based on a rate increase of 2.5 per cent. This is in line with the new Fair Go Rates System (FGRS) which caps Victorian rate increases to the forecast Consumer Price Index movement of 2.5 per cent.
- The estimated average rates per assessment for 2019–20 is $1,419.
New capital expenditure
The $40 million capital budget (excluding carry forwards) includes funding for asset renewals, upgrades and expansions. The capital works program includes, but is not limited to:
- strategic projects — $4.34 million
- Great@GlenEira — $1.11 million
- recreation and open space — $9.33 million
- community facilities — $3.5 million
- sustainability — $570,000
- community safety — $1.26 million
- renewal projects — $19.95 million.
Waste and recycling charges
The increase in waste and recycling charges allows us to recover costs. Residential garbage charges for 2018–19 are as follows:
- large 240L waste charge: $441 up from $416 in 2018-19 (includes estimated $49 State Levy)
- small 120L waste charge: $220 up from $207 in 2018-19 (includes an estimated $25 State Levy)
- residential 240L flat shared bins waste charge: $220 per assessment up from $207 in 2018-19 (includes an estimated $24 State Levy)
- 240L family bin waste charge: $292 up from $279 in 2018-19 (includes an estimated $49 State Levy)
- medical 240L waste charge: $220 up from $207 in 2018-19 (includes an estimated $49 State Levy)
- litter management charge $60 up from $56 in 2018–19
The combined State and Council pensioner rebate will remain at $270, which is higher than in most Victorian municipalities.
Fire Service Property Levy
From 1 July 2013, the State Government started using local governments to collect the Fire Services Property Levy. We collect the levy and pay it to the State Government. We list the levy on your rates notice.
Early learning centre fees
Fees are as follows:
- $137 per day for zero to three-year-olds, up from $133 in 2018-19
- $129 per day for three to five-year-olds, up from $125 in 2018-19
These fees are below the mid-point of fees across Glen Eira.
Actual costs will depend on the Commonwealth Government rebate in individual circumstances.
Public open space levy
We provide open space for recreation, nature conservation and passive outdoor enjoyment. This includes:
- larger urban and civic spaces