Applications and permits

As a business owner in Glen Eira, you have different responsibilities depending on what type of business you run. Many business activities and advertising signs may require permits. You may also need a change of use permit if you're changing the type of business that operates in an existing place.

If you have any questions about your responsibilities, call us on 03 9524 3333.

On this page

Whether you own a new or growing business, we want to make the permit process as easy as possible.

I don't know what permit type I need

Complete our quick and easy permit navigator to help you work out which permits you need to apply for, and how many.

I think I need more than one permit

If you think you may need more than one permit complete our Business support services form:

Within 7-10 days, we will forward clear instructions on how to proceed. From this point on you will then deal directly with a person in each relevant department, however, you may contact your Concierge Officer at any time with any questions you may have.

I only need one permit

Please refer to the links below and apply for the relevant permit directly with the issuing department (Planning, Environmental Health, or Local Laws). If you have any questions about your permit, please contact that department on 9524 3333.

If you need to complete more than one form, you'll need to enter some information like your name and address more than once. We’re working on a way to reduce the duplication, but until then, thank you for your patience.

Note: if you require a Building Permit, please refer to the additional information below, or you can find a list of registered private building surveyors on the Victorian Building Authority’s website.

Permits you'll need

If you think you may need more than one permit, we recommend that you get in touch with our in house Business Concierge services. 

Outdoor trading

It's now simpler than ever to apply for your outdoor trading permit and have chairs, tables, windbreaks, display of goods or other furniture on the footpath.

Food businesses

If you own or you're looking to buy a food business in Glen Eira, there's a lot to consider. Whether you're taking over a restaurant or starting a mobile food business, we can help with everything from registration to food labelling.

Health and beauty businesses

Requirements for health and beauty businesses include hairdressing, beauty therapy, skin penetration (body piercing), tattooing and colonic irrigation.

Rooming houses and prescribed accommodation

For business owners wanting to build, buy or operate a prescribed accommodation business.

Public aquatic facilities

Public aquatic facilities (swimming pools, spa pools or interactive water features) now need to register with Glen Eira City Council.

Filming in Glen Eira

Learn more on how to apply to film in Glen Eira from planning your production, to applying for permits from public agencies.

Home based businesses

If you're running a business from home, you must meet the requirements in the Home Based Business (Clause 52.11) of the Glen Eira Planning Scheme. If you don't meet these requirements, your business may not be suitable to be run from home, or you may need a Planning Permit to operate.


Steps you can take to make your business more accessible for people with a disability.