Footpath Trading permits

Apply for the right permits to trade outdoors. 

On this page

Glen Eira Community Local Law 2019 requires a Footpath Trading permit for chairs, tables, windbreaks, display of goods and any associated furniture on footpaths.

Apply for a new Footpath Trading permit

Before you apply for a footpath trading permit, please ensure you've read the Footpath Activities Guidelines.

How do I apply?

Your application must include the following information:

  • Public Liability Insurance Policy with a minimum coverage of $20 million
  • Two clear photographs of the footpath trading area outside your business, taken within the last two weeks.

Once we receive your application, one of our officers will assess it. If your application is successful you'll receive your footpath trading permit via email.

What does it cost?

Items and fees:

  • External chairs (up to six chairs) or a bench seat (up to six patrons) $265 fixed fee
  • Extra chairs (if there are more than six chairs) or a bench seat (if there are more than six patrons) $43.20 per chair
  • A-frame sign $132 per sign
  • Heater $108 per display
  • Display of goods $276 per display
  • Windbreaks and screening barriers Free
  • Umbrellas Free

If you wish to amend or cancel your Footpath Trading Permit email

Public fixtures on the footpath

Please consider public infrastructure when choosing a site for your business. Public infrastructure includes things like rubbish bins, public seats, bicycle hoops and planter boxes. The footpath activities guidelines outline the clearances that apply to public infrastructure.

If there's existing infrastructure at the front of your business, you can make a request to remove or relocate it. 

Your removal and/or relocation request should include:

  • your name and contact details
  • the address of your business
  • details of the public infrastructure outside your business (including photos)
  • details of items you wish to place on the footpath (eg. number of tables/chairs etc.)
  • justification for why you believe the infrastructure should be moved/removed.

We assess removal and/or relocation requests on a case-by-case basis and we may refuse your request. 

You must contact us to discuss public infrastructure before you apply for your footpath trading permit. 

Renew a Footpath Trading permit

Footpath Trading permit: your regular Footpath Trading Permit will need to be renewed annually. You will be sent a renewal statement before your expiry date. 

Guidelines for outdoor trading 

We’ve developed guidelines to give you all the information you need before you apply for a Footpath Trading Permit. You must comply with these guidelines if you are issued with a Footpath Trading Permit.