Glen Eira Volunteer program
We provide volunteer opportunities to support the delivery of Council services and programs. Anyone is welcome to volunteer particularly people with a disability to support their participation in community life. There are opportunities for all interests and abilities.
Community support services
Glen Eira offers community support services for frail older people and people with a disability at Leila Road, Carnegie. As a volunteer, you can help with any of our programs.
- Social support — Volunteers engage in social activities in a supportive environment at the centre for older people. It’s a great chance to make friends and support staff with social activities like music, board games, cards, craft and exercise.
- Community support — Volunteers provide companionship and support to isolated older people and people with disabilities in their own homes. We match volunteers on a one-on-one basis so you can visit and provide social interaction. You can enjoy shared activities like board games, puzzles, coffee or a meal, or movies. You may also go for a drive or visit the local shops.
- Delivered meals service — Volunteers help deliver healthy meals to people's homes on weekdays. We have roles for drivers and passengers (jockeys).
Glen Eira delivers a leisure and lifestyle program at three aged care facilities: Rosstown in Carnegie and Warrawee in Bentleigh East. As a volunteer, you can support our residents through a range of activities.
- Social support — Volunteer's support staff to run social activities for older people. You can also provide companionship to residents who enjoy a chat or a game.
- Cycling without age — Volunteer cyclists offer free, ebike trishaw rides for older people and people with limited movement. It gives them a chance to connect with their community and the outdoors. We currently offer trishaw rides in the beautiful heritage setting of Caulfield Park. Volunteer cyclists (pilots) must have basic cycling experience. We provide specialist training.
Arts and culture
- Glen Eira City Council Gallery — Volunteers can provide support at gallery exhibitions or administration support.
- Festivals and events — Volunteers help support our major festivals and events each year.
Our Mentor Partners Program has been operating in partnership with Kingston City Council for 20 years. This program provides experience, knowledge and mentorship to local business operators and owners. Our volunteers are experienced retired, semi-retired and current business people, who offer their time and expertise.
Council relies on volunteers to support a broad range of council services and programs while community organisations, programs, clubs and sports would simply not exist without the dedication of volunteers.
Volunteer for Council
Volunteer Role: Delivered Meals Volunteer
Area: Social Support
Contact: Sandra Tauber
Volunteer Role: Cooking Up Connections Volunteer
Area: Senior Support
Volunteer in the community
If you are interested in volunteering during the COVID-19 pandemic, you can register your interest to become an emergency volunteer through WeVolunteer.
Our Volunteer Recognition Program recognises and acknowledges volunteers at an annual celebration held during National Volunteer Week.