If you want to install advertising signs, you should find out if you need a Planning Permit first. If so, you must comply with the Glen Eira Planning Scheme and provide the correct documents in your application.

On this page

The Glen Eira Planning Scheme aims to:

  • regulate the display of signs and associated structures
  • provide for signs that are compatible with the amenity and visual appearance of an area
  • ensure signs don't contribute to excessive visual clutter or disorder
  • ensure signs don't cause loss of amenity or adversely affect the natural or built environment or the safety, appearance or efficiency of a road.

Do I need a Planning Permit for a sign?

Whether you need a Planning Permit for an advertising sign depends on its zoning, location and size. 

To determine if you need a Planning Permit, you can:

If you're still not sure if you need a permit, call us on 9524 3333.

How to apply

You must apply online for a signage permit.

So we can process your application efficiently, please include:

  • payment of the relevant application fee (see our fees page for more information).
  • a Certificate of Title produced within the last 90 days. To get a Certificate of Title, call Land Victoria on 8636 2456 or order it online from the Land Data website.
  • site and elevation plans at a scale of 1:100 or 1:200,showing:
    • the location of all existing and proposed signs
    • dimensions of the proposed signs, including its height, width and depth
    • front, side and rear elevations of the signs (or location on a building if applicable), including height, dimensions and the distance above natural ground level
  • written submission of how your application meets Clause 52.05 (Advertising Signs) of the Glen Eira Planning Scheme.

In some cases you may also need to provide:

  • the projection of the sign clearance above the footpath and the laneway surface
  • the distance from the sign to the face of the kerb
  • details of any illumination or if it is animated or flashes.

If you also need planning permission for other related activities, such as renovations or change of use, it's best to include them all in the one application. Different applications need different information, so check the relevant guidelines or call us on 9524 3333 for help.



Related resources