You must prevent your cat from being a nuisance to neighbours. If your neighbour asks you to stop your cat coming onto their property, you must do so. We may issue you with a notice of objection if your cat trespasses on someone’s property. We may also impound your cat if it happens more than once.

On This Page

If a cat is causing a nuisance on your property, contact us on 9524 3333.

Should I keep my cat on my property?

We recommend you confine your cat at night, because it will:

  • protect native wildlife
  • prevent cat fights
  • reduce the risk of cats being hit by cars
  • prevent territorial marking and spraying
  • help reduce problems associated with stray cats.

Outdoor cat enclosures are a good way to allow adequate exercise, while ensuring the cat stays on your property. Contact our Civic Compliance Unit on 9524 3333 for information on cat enclosures.

I’ve found a stray cat

Approximately 50,000 cats are impounded every year. Of those, 35,000 are euthanised due to poor health or an inability to find homes.

Government and animal welfare groups have joined together for the Who’s For Cats? campaign, which encourages Victorians to adopt stray cats or help them find a new home.

If you’re feeding an unowned cat, please contact our Civic Compliance Unit for advice on taking full ownership or bringing it into a pound or shelter.

For information on what to do if you find an unowned cat, contact us on 9524 3333.



Related pages