COVID-19 update:

Find out how the latest easing of restrictions have impacted our services and facilities, visit our COVID-19 Council services update webpage.


Outdoor trading

As COVID-19 restrictions begin to ease, we want to reactivate Glen Eira and support our businesses by making it easier for you to apply for the right permits to trade outdoors safely. 

On This Page

Glen Eira Community Local Law 2019 requires a Footpath Trading Permit for chairs, tables, windbreaks, display of goods and any associated furniture on footpaths.

Apply for a new Footpath Trading permit

Before you apply for a footpath trading permit, please ensure you've read the Footpath Activities Guidelines.

How do I apply?

Your application must include the following information:

  • Public Liability Insurance Policy with a minimum coverage of $20 million
  • Two clear photographs of the footpath trading area outside your business, taken within the last two weeks.

Once we receive your application, one of our officers will assess it. If your application is successful you'll receive your footpath trading permit via email.

To support your business in recovering from COVID-19, we have committed to fast-tracking your application for a footpath trading permit with an expected turn-around time of four (4) business days. 

What does it cost?

All fees have been waived as part of funded initiatives from Glen Eira City Council and the Victorian Government to support our businesses and community during the easing of COVID-19 restrictions.

Public fixtures on the footpath

Please consider public infrastructure when choosing a site for your business. Public infrastructure includes things like rubbish bins, public seats, bicycle hoops and planter boxes. The footpath activities guidelines outline the clearances that apply to public infrastructure.

If there's existing infrastructure at the front of your business, you can make a request to remove or relocate it. 

Your removal and/or relocation request should include:

  • your name and contact details
  • the address of your business
  • details of the public infrastructure outside your business (including photos)
  • details of items you wish to place on the footpath (eg. number of tables/chairs etc.)
  • justification for why you believe the infrastructure should be moved/removed.

We assess removal and/or relocation requests on a case-by-case basis and we may refuse your request. 

You must contact us to discuss public infrastructure before you apply for your footpath trading permit. 

Apply for additional outdoor trading 

Do you have a current Footpath Trading Permit? We’re offering extended footpath trading and parklet opportunities to help cafes, restaurants, eateries and others reopen with physical distancing in place.

Before you apply for additional outdoor trading, please ensure you've read the COVID-19 Public Space Program Extended Footpath Trading and Parklet Guidelines

What is additional outdoor trading?

Additional outdoor trading is a temporary opportunity for businesses to apply to extend their current footpath trading and request to use on-street parking spaces to create a parklet.

Through the additional outdoor trading form you can make a submission to:

  • Expand footpath trading adjacent to other businesses  
  • Temporarily occupy a parking space with built protection 
The processing time is approximately four (4) business days to assess.

What does it cost?

There is no cost to this process. It is part of funded initiatives from Glen Eira City Council and the Victorian Government to support our businesses and community during the easing of COVID-19 restrictions.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible to submit for a Parklet or Extended Footpath Trading Permit a business must : 

  • Have a Footpath Trading Permit 
  • Operate from a commercial premises in a Glen Eira Activity Centre  
  • Have written consent from affected neighbouring businesses/property owners. Download a sample consent letter
  • Have extended Public Liability insurance that cites Council as an insured party
  • Have extended Public Liability insurance that cites both Council and the Department of Transport if you are making a submission for use of an on-street parking space located on Hawthorn Road, Murrumbeena Road, Centre Road, North Road and East Boundary Road
  • Be able to provide furniture/equipment for the space
  • Commit to the safety, access, amenity and upkeep expectations and requirements outlined in the Guidelines
  • Provide a description of what you would like to use the space for as well as supporting information
If you don’t have an existing permit to trade on a footpath, you can apply online for a fast-tracked permit. 

Renew a Footpath Trading permit

Footpath Trading permit: your regular Footpath Trading Permit will need to be renewed annually. You will be sent a renewal statement before your expiry date. 

Additional outdoor trading permit: any additional outdoor trading permits that are granted are temporary measures as outlined in the Glen Eira COVID-19 Public Space Program - Extended Footpath Trading and Parklet Guidelines. There is no renewal period for these temporary permits.  

Guidelines for outdoor trading 

We’ve developed guidelines to give you all the information you need before you apply for a Footpath Trading Permit. You must comply with these guidelines if you are issued with a Footpath Trading Permit.