On 31 July 1909, hundreds of people braved the cold for the official opening of Hopetoun Gardens. Park designer Thomas Pockett landscaped it with a central feature, pathways, ornamental plantings, lawns and irregularly shaped flower beds. The park's bandstand comes from the old Elsternwick Railway Reserve, and the two cannons, along the Glenhuntly Road frontage, were manufactured in England in 1866. The cannons at Hopetoun Gardens are two of only twenty five made and were installed at Hopetoun Gardens in 1910.
The playground is great for younger children and includes:
- education boards
- springers and spinners
- small train
- shade sail over part of the playground for protection from the sun
Bandstand and BBQs
The bandstand is located near the playground, providing an elevated platform to the gardens below. There are BBQ facilities and picnic tables on the other side of the playground for picnics.
Book and reserve the Bandstand
Please contact us by phone or email:
Please note: Fees apply and a minimum of 5 business days’ notice is required for all bookings. BBQs are a free communal facility for all users of the park. They are not included as part of a picnic shelter reservation.
Dog leash information
- The northern end of Hopetoun Gardens (Glenhuntly Road end) is off-leash between 6am and 9am, and on leash outside of these times.
- The southern end of the park below the Bandstand is on-leash at all times.