Hodgson Reserve is home to three significantly varied playgrounds, outdoor fitness equipment and extensive open spaces with walking paths. This reserve is perfect for play, recreation and social gatherings and, due to it being the home of Bayside Companion Dog Training School, is particularly well used for exercising dogs.
Dogs – on leash
Dogs – off leash
Lawn bowls club
Rotunda or picnic shelter
Hodgson Reserve is named after Ken Hodgson, who made a significant contribution to the Bentleigh McKinnon Youth Centre located on Higgins Road.
There are three playgrounds located at Hodgson Reserve, all offering a different range of play opportunities.
This is the playground closest to the Bentleigh Bowling Club and includes:
- monkey bars and climbing frame
- educational panels
- shade sails for protection from the sun
This playground is located beside the Bentleigh McKinnon Youth Centre and features a range of climbing opportunities.
This playground will undergo a significant redevelopment in 2019/20, to be converted to a play space that features a modified basketball court, multipurpose hit up wall, table tennis table, bouldering wall and climbing frame.
Board game playground
On the upper level of Hodgson Reserve, there is a 3D snakes and ladders life-size board game.
Picnic shelters and BBQs
There are two picnic shelters at Hodgson Reserve. The most popular is located close to the traditional playground, with 2 picnic tables available for social gatherings. There are BBQ facilities and toilets nearby to this picnic shelter.
The second picnic shelter with picnic tables is located on the upper level, close to the snakes and ladder game.
Book and reserve a picnic shelter or outdoor event
To book or find more information visit our Picnic Shelter and Outdoor Events Booking page
Hodgson Reserve has many opportunities for recreation, including:
- sports ground (training)
- internal walking/running pathways
- outdoor fitness equipment
- dog school training
Dog leash information
- The open space sportsground area of Hodgson Reserve is off leash.
- The playground areas and upper level of Hodgson Reserve are on-leash at all times.
- Dogs must be on-leash within 20 metres of barbecues and picnic areas, children’s playgrounds, sports and recreation facilities, both public and sporting events (includes set up and take down), and any Park maintenance activities.