The strategy’s aspirational goals include a proposed target of net zero emissions from our operations by 2030, and net zero emissions from the community by 2050.
At a special meeting on Tuesday 5 May, Council passed a motion to declare a climate emergency. Council also committed to ambitious new carbon emission reduction targets:
- zero net corporate emissions by 2025
- zero net community emissions by 2030.
In working towards these goals, our priorities for 2016–21 are to:
- accelerate efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- improve sustainability of infrastructure
- advocate on behalf of the community
- support and mobilise the community.
Each year, we develop an action plan to put the recommendations from the strategy into practice. Read our Environmental Sustainability Action Plan 2020-21 (PDF 2.71MB).
Our Sustainability Advisory Committee also meets quarterly to advise us on strategic sustainability issues.