The strategy’s aspirational goals include a proposed target of net zero emissions from our operations by 2030, and net zero emissions from the community by 2050.
At a special meeting on Tuesday 5 May, Council passed a motion to declare a climate emergency. Council also committed to ambitious new carbon emission reduction targets:
- zero net corporate emissions by 2025
- zero net community emissions by 2030.
In working towards these goals, our priorities for 2016–21 are to:
- accelerate efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- improve sustainability of infrastructure
- advocate on behalf of the community
- support and mobilise the community.
Each year, we develop an action plan to put the recommendations from the strategy into practice. Read our Environmental Sustainability Action Plan 2020-21 (PDF 2.71MB).
Our Sustainability Advisory Committee also meets quarterly to advise us on strategic sustainability issues.
Our Biodiversity in Glen Eira Report 2018 (PDF, 3MB) explores the concentration of our biodiversity, and what threatens and sustains it. We also developed a Biodiversity Implementation Plan 2018 (PDF, 401KB), which maps out how we’re addressing the report’s recommendations.