Our Climate Emergency Response Strategy 2021–2025
This strategy was developed in response to Council’s declaration of a Climate Emergency on 5 May 2020.
Stronger climate change and sustainability targets have been committed to by Council and the community. Greater emphasis has been placed on community education and collaborative efforts among councils, state and federal government. The new Strategy focuses on both mitigating and adapting to the impacts of climate change to provide a wholistic approach, while acknowledging future challenges.
Through this Strategy Council has committed to the following goals:
- Goal 1: Embed climate change action in everything that we do
- Goal 2: Our community is active and mobilised on climate action
- Goal 3: Council-owned buildings and infrastructure are resilient and safe for our staff and community
- Goal 4: Our community is protected from the worst impacts of climate change
- Goal 5: Net zero council emissions by 2025
- Goal 6: Net zero community emissions by 2030.
The Strategy is supported by Our Action Plan (located within the Strategy), which sets out 70 actions to be undertaken over the life of the Strategy to achieve the six goals.
Our Biodiversity in Glen Eira Report 2018 (PDF, 3MB) explores the concentration of our biodiversity, and what threatens and sustains it. We also developed a Biodiversity Implementation Plan 2018 (PDF, 401KB), which maps out how we’re addressing the report’s recommendations.