The closing date for gallery hire applications for 2019 is Friday 15 June 2018.
The Gallery is available for hire in either three or four week slots throughout the year. The space can be hired as a whole or half and we encourage interested parties to view the space before submitting their application.
Applicants should submit an online application. Enquires should be directed to Diane Soumilas, Gallery Co-ordinator/Curator on 03 9524 3333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Priority will be given to proposals that address one of the following themes:
- local content;
- children and families; or
- cultural heritage and identity.
Proposals should meet the following criteria:
- Promote innovation, diversity and quality in contemporary visual arts practice.
- Demonstrate a high level of technical ability.
- Present a coherent body of work or theme for exhibition.
- Present artworks in a professional manner.
- Present artworks that exhibit a high level of competency.
- Include images of artworks of a high standard.
Applications should include:
- A brief written description of your exhibition proposal (maximum of 300 words).
- High resolution jpeg images of up to six artworks proposed for the exhibition.
- Your resume or biographies of key personnel.
- How much space you require.
The selection process is very competitive and we currently receive more applications to exhibit than we can accommodate in our annual exhibition schedule. The submission of an application does not ensure a place in our exhibition program.
Three week hire (full/half): $4,300/$2,835
Four week hire (full/half): $5,565/$3,800
If your application is successful, the hirer will be required to pay 50% of the full hire fees within fourteen (14) days of a written confirmation of the booking from the Council. The remaining 50% of the hire fees must be paid no later than thirty (30) days prior to the commencement date of the hire period.
If your application is successful, a security deposit of $500 for full venue hire and $250 for half venue hire is payable by the hirer three (3) months prior to the commencement of the hire.
Special rates will be negotiated with successful applicants who live, work or study in the City of Glen Eira. In the case of any group exhibitions, all participants must meet this criteria for the group to qualify.
Services included in the hire fee are:
- professional exhibition advice from the Gallery Curator and installation assistance;
- kitchen staff for one launch;
- use of kitchen and glasses for opening;
- after hours alarm protection and security;
- invitations (prepared by the hirer) emailed to the Council's arts and culture data base; and
- Gallery staff to supervise the gallery during weekdays.
The Gallery has a listing in Art Almanac and conducts a mailout to free publicity listings and to art writers, and can, if required, write and circulate a media release. Information on exhibitions is also included in the Glen Eira News (Council's monthly newspaper), the Gallery quarterly calendar, on Council’s website and Facebook page.
Artists or their representatives are required to sit in the gallery during weekend opening hours. The gallery cannot act as an agent for the sale of works, but staff are happy to take down details of expressions of interest. No commission is charged.
Gallery opening hours
Closed all public holidays
Community Groups can utilise the Gallery Annexe for free. For further information on utilising the Gallery Annexe, download a copy of the criteria below:
Annexe Gallery — Community Group Use Criteria(PDF, 110KB)