Looking to improve the health of your garden? Come and get some free mulch from us.
Our free mulch facility is open seven days a week. It offers untreated material, usually from shredded tree prunings and sometimes from other sources. As the volume varies, we can’t guarantee continuous supply.
The facility is in the Glen Huntly Park car park off Neerim Road, near the corner of Booran and Neerim Roads. Melway Ref: 68 E3.
What are the benefits of mulch?
Mulch has a huge range of benefits for your garden, such as:
- providing healthier soil for plants, flowers and food
- insulating soil and protecting roots from extreme temperatures
- discouraging the growth of weeds
- water conservation.
What’s in mulch?
Mulch contains organic materials and living microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi and protozoa. It may also contain mineral and fertiliser additives.
How to be safe around mulch
You should be aware there are some health risks when you're around mulch. To be safe, you should:
- avoid contact with the eyes and skin — wear industry-standard protective gear
- always wear a mask and gloves and remember to rinse your gloves afterwards
- avoid breathing in dust and/or liquid mists
- clean up afterwards by wet sweeping or vacuuming
- store it in a cool location away from children
- wash your hands carefully with soap before eating, drinking, smoking or placing hands near the face or mouth.
If you’re exposed to mulch, you should:
- irrigate your eyes with plenty of water for 10 minutes, before anything else
- wash your skin with soap and water
- seek medical attention if skin, eye or respiratory symptoms persist.