Detox your Home
Opening hours: Drop off times vary between sites, visit Detox your Home collection points and dates
How to book
Select a Detox your Home collection point and date
Register. Once you’ve registered, the collection point address will be provided and a reminder sent via e-mail/SMS.
Label your items:
- Retain original labels on containers.
- If there is no original label but you know the contents, write a label and stick it on.
- If you're not sure of the contents, label the container 'unknown chemical'. Don’t guess the chemical's name.
- View a full list of items accepted and not accepted.
On collection day, take your items to the collection point. Once you’re there, the process takes about 10 minutes. (Note that it could be longer depending on the time of day and the number of residents that attend.)
There are a number of safety precautions to observe when transporting chemicals, including:
- Travel with your car windows down if carrying flammable or odorous materials.
- Keep chemicals in their original containers. Ensure lids are tightly fitted.
- Protect taps on drums so that the tap does not break off.
- Place containers of liquids in a tray or plastic bucket so that they do not spill or fall.
- Pack powders and solids securely.
- Keep corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid, away from poisons.
- Keep oxidizing agents, such as peroxide, away from all other materials.
- Double-wrap old liquid containers in plastic bags to prevent leaking.