Dumped rubbish

Dumping rubbish on public land without permission is littering. There can be significant financial penalties for littering and the Environment Protection Authority may also prosecute more serious cases of illegal dumping.

Charity bins and stores

Leaving goods next to charity bins or outside charity stores when they’re closed is illegal and may attract a fine.

Please leave quality second-hand goods to charity stores during their opening hours. Some organisations also collect items from your home. For instance, the Brotherhood of St Lawrence collects furniture, whitegoods, clothing and household goods in metropolitan Melbourne for free. Please phone 1300 366 283 to book a collection.

Reporting dumped rubbish

Rubbish that has been left out for more than seven days is generally dumped rubbish. You can report dumped rubbish on our online request system or by calling us on 9524 3333

Reporting litter from vehicles

If you see someone littering from a vehicle or near the vehicle they are using, you can report it to Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA). You can make litter reports to EPA online using the EPA web form. Further information about reporting litter from vehicles can be found on the EPA website

How to dispose of rubbish correctly

Hard rubbish, branches and cardboard collections

Your household is entitled to nine free collections each financial year – three for hard rubbish, three for bundled branches, and three for bulk cardboard. You must make a booking for these collections. For further information, visit hard rubbish, branches and cardboard.

There are also a number of waste transfer stations and drop-off points close to Glen Eira.

Chemicals and hazardous items

You can dispose of household chemicals at our permanent drop-off sites or at a Detox Your Home mobile collection.

Visit household chemicals for more information about these services.


Related pages