What does the amendment do?
The amendment seeks to apply a Heritage Overlay (HO156) to the property. The schedule to the overlay specifies details for external paint controls, internal alteration controls and makes allowance for permission of prohibited uses. The Amendment also includes the Statement of Significance for the site as an Incorporated Document in the Schedule to Clause 72.04.
Why is the amendment required?
The amendment is required to protect the former ABC television Gordon Street Studios, which have individual heritage significance.
A citation by an independent heritage consultant (Heritage Alliance) found the studios to be of cultural significance at a national, state and local level as a place associated with public broadcasting since 1956. It is a rare, surviving 20th century television studio and the earliest ABC television studio left in Australia. The studios are associated with a medium which had far reaching effects on Australian culture, ideas, identity and society.
The amendment was exhibited from 15 November to 17 December 2018.
Council has received the Panel Report from Planning Panels Victoria detailing their recommendation for the former ABC TV Studios site at 8 Gordon Street, Elsternwick.
The Panel concludes that it is appropriate to apply the Heritage Overlay (HO156) to the site to recognise its local cultural heritage significant and to support the use of internal controls, external paint controls and prohibited used permitted provisions of the proposed Heritage Overlay Schedule. Tree controls are not supported without further arboricultural assessment.
- 13 August Council report and resolution (PDF, 868KB)
- Heritage overlay map (PDF, 319KB)
- Heritage Assessment Report (PDF, 8MB)
- Adopted Citation (PDF, 1.8MB)
- Adopted Statement of Significance (PDF,1.2MB)
- Incorporated document including planning permit exemption (PDF, 265KB)
- Adopted Schedule to Clause 43.01 Heritage Overlay (PDF, 147KB)
- Adopted Schedule to Clause 72.04 documents incorporated in this planning scheme (PDF, 89KB)
- 8 Gordon Street, Elsternwick Certificate of Title (PDF, 534KB)