Victorian building regulations set uniform standards for the construction, amenity and safety of homes and commercial buildings. We play an important role in ensuring you comply with these regulations.
Victorian building regulations are documented in the:
The Building Act aims to:
- establish, maintain and improve standards for the construction and maintenance of buildings
- facilitate the adoption and application of national uniform building standards and the accreditation of building products
- enhance the amenity of buildings
- protect the safety and health of people who use buildings
- promote the cost-effective construction of buildings
- provide an efficient and effective system for issuing building and occupancy permits.
Informed by the Act, the Building Regulations 2018 have requirements relating to:
- building permits
- occupancy permits
- building maintenance
- enforcement matters.
What role does Glen Eira play?
We're responsible for ensuring you comply with a range of Victorian Government regulations, including those concerning fire safety systems, smoke alarms, and pool and spa fences.
For more information on safety regulations, visit our fencing regulations, fire safety and swimming pool fences pages.