COVID-19 update:

As per the Premier’s announcement on Tuesday 7 July, we have been directed to move back to Stage 3 Stay at Home restrictions. Find out more about how this will impact Council services in our COVID-19 services update.

Asset Protection Permit

You must get an Asset Protection Permit before you start any building or demolition works. The only exception is minor building works valued at less than $5,000 and not involving masonry structures and demolition.

On This Page

Why do I need an Asset Protection Permit?

Building works can damage Council assets, which include footpaths, nature strips, kerb and channels, pavement, stormwater drains, trees and signs.

As the property owner, you need an Asset Protection Permit to protect assets from damage that may occur while moving equipment, machinery or building materials. It also protects you from having to pay for damage that existed before you started your work.

As the property owner, it’s your responsibility to

  • inform us of any pre-existing damage before you start building works
  • protect our assets during works.

If you, a builder or contractor damages our assets during works, you’re liable for the full cost of replacing them.

For more information, read Asset Protection Permit: general information (PDF, 81KB)

What is the cost of the Permit?

Permit fee: $242


  • Residential Single Frontage Development: $2,000
  • Residential Corner Development: $5,000
  • Commercial/Large Scale Developments: to be assessed by Council

Can I apply for an Asset Protection Permit online?

Yes, you can register to apply for permits online. When we approve your registration, we’ll send you a confirmation email. If you’re already registered, please log in.

There may be extra fees for the bond amount during the application assessment. An officer will advise you of any changes.