Help for council leaseholders

Are you or your organisation a Council tenant?  Do you have a lease or licence with Council? Whether you're after advice on your lease or licence obligations, need to discuss repairs and maintenance or capital improvements, hard rubbish collections, the landlord consent process or even how to run a successful event, we're here to help.

On This Page

Lease or Licence conditions

As a not-for-profit and volunteer organisation, you will have a lease or licence with Council for use of our building or land.  If you have any questions on your agreement with Council, need to get a copy of your lease or licence or have any general questions about your obligations, please don't hesitate to contact the Property team on 9524 3401.

Maintaining your property

Testing and tagging electrical equipment

Under the conditions of your lease or licence, you must 'test and tag' all electrical equipment once a year. This includes but is not limited to all free standing electrical appliances such as all kitchen equipment and fridges/freezers, kettles, office equipment, phone charges, radios etc. An electrican will test each appliance and then put a 'tag' on the appliance's cord to show it complies with Australian Standard AS/NZS 3760:2010. Please contact an authorised electrician to do this.

Repairs and Maintenance

Depending on whether you're in a Council building or in your own building on Council land, the repairs and maintenance conditions may differ.  In both cases however, you are responsible for day to day repairs, general maintenance and cleanliness of your premises.

You need landlord consent from Council if you are planning to undertake any alterations or works to the land or building.  This can be done by applying for landlord consent.

Graffiti removal

As a tenant you must remove graffiti located on or within your leased or licenced area, as soon as is practicable.  If the graffiti could be considered offensive, you should get this removed within 24 hours of becoming aware of it.

Landlord consent for building works

Under the conditions of your lease or licence, you need our written consent before you start any building or improvement works. You may also need a town planning or building permit, depending on what you want to do.

You can get an application for landlord consent from our Property Administration Officer, or by visiting our apply to improve a property page.

Running a successful event

Events like parties or evening functions need careful planning to ensure they run smoothly. Apart from inviting guests, organising food and hanging decorations, you should also consider the safety of your event and the impact on local residents.

Venue noise

If your club is holding a function at your venue, you must be aware of the nuisance provisions in your lease or licence, as well as your legal obligations regarding noise. Venue noise includes, but is not limited to:

  • music
  • garden machinery such as mowers
  • automatic watering systems
  • general noise from patrons.

You must control noise levels during your event and when people are leaving the venue, especially if you're located in a residential area. Your lease also requires a member of your Club Committee to always be present at evening events.

We recommend that your club enters into a Hire Agreement which specifies the closing time and reminds guests to leave in a quiet and orderly fashion. 

For more information about your legal obligations and the consequences of breaching them, visit the Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA) noise information page.

Register your party or event with Victoria Police

Council and Victoria Police recommend that you register your party or event with the Partysafe program. This Victoria Police initiative gives information to the police to help minimise the risk of something going wrong at your party, such as intoxicated guests or gatecrashers ruining your fun.

Register a party with the Partysafe program

Hard rubbish collections for sporting clubs

Sporting clubs that use our reserves can now book hard rubbish collections. Collections cost $45 for every four cubic metres, which we'll invoice to your club’s account. To book your collection contact our Service Centre on 9524 3333.

Any other questions?

If you have any other questions about your lease or licence, please call us on 9524 3333.