Watch: The basics of SEO
- How does Google decide what websites to show in search? Google processes 3.8 million searches per minute. To make sense of so much data it uses a complex mathematical formula, called an algorithm, to measure the relevance of individual websites.
- Website traffic from search engines is important. Search traffic remains the most widely used method for finding online information.
- Paid vs organic search traffic. Google lets you purchase premium positions in search results via Google Ads which differ from natural (organic) search results.
- Basic SEO principles for small business. In theory, effective SEO means writing and publishing website content that visitors will regard as informative and trustworthy. In practice, the web internet contains 4.2 billion web pages, which means small businesses may find SEO to be a competitive field.
- How important is SEO for small business? Your business model should determine the amount of resource (and therefore cost) that goes into SEO. Some businesses (like professional services and online retailers) are more likely to benefit than others. The key is to understand how SEO will help attain business objectives.