Watch: Become your own content marketing expert
- When done right, content is a powerful organic marketing tool. Great content can build strong relationships with customers; draw in new audiences and play a key role in distinguishing your brand. Search engines like Google also love sending people to good content.
- There are four major types of content:
- Long form content like blogs, white papers, articles and media releases.
- Short form content like posts, tweets and LinkedIn updates.
- Images like pictures, memes, infographics and product shots.
- Rich content like videos, gifs, games and even interactive maps.
- To create effective content, you need to have a clear idea of audience and purpose in mind:
- An audience could be any of the following: a new audience; existing followers; repeat purchasers; first-time purchasers; loyal customers; industry peers; etc.
- A specific purpose might be brand awareness; growing followers or likes; creating leads and converting them into sales; increasing clicks, shares, comments or enquiries; increasing downloads etc.
- There are three key engagement tactics: entertaining audiences; educating audiences; and agitating audiences.
- Successful content needs to conform to the style conventions of the platform it's published on. Download the content marketing fact sheet for small business for a detailed breakdown of the different content needs of each platform.