Resources for home based business owners
Home based business owners make up a large proportion of Glen Eira's business community. Council is dedicated to ensuring that businesses of all shapes and sizes feel supported by, and connected to the Glen Eira business community. Below are a range of resources available to home based business owners.
New business owners
If you're just beginning your home based business, our Business Concierge service should be your first point of call. Business concierge is designed to streamline the business application and permits process. Our business e-newsletter is also a fantastic resource for keeping up to date with events, education opportunities and grants available to Glen Eira business owners.
Council offers a wide range of business support programs designed to help you connect, grow and learn.
- Mentor Partners Program - One on one mentoring with experienced business people.
- BusEd Program - Pairs your business with university students to work on a web, admin or IT project
- Women's business network - Women in business helping women in business.
- Co-working spaces - Business networking events that provide small business information and resources.
Applications and permits
If you're running a business from home, you must meet the requirements in the Home Based Business (Clause 52.11) of the Glen Eira Planning Scheme. If you don't meet these requirements, your business may not be suitable to be run from home, or you may need a Planning Permit to operate.
Find out if you need any permits and exactly what you need need to comply with local government regulations.
- Food business
- Health and wellbeing businesses
- Prescribed accommodation and rooming houses
- Permit application support
Digital marketing resources
Developing a strong digital presence is a key way that home based businesses can improve visibility amongst their target clientele. Our digital marketing resources for business include:
- Digital literacy masterclasses
- Promote your business (for free) to over a thousand members of the community through the Discover Your Glen Eira Facebook Page
- Practical articles on social media, marketing and selling online and website management.
Our business e-newsletter is a fantastic resource for keeping up to date with events, education opportunities and grants available to Glen Eira business owners.