Springhope Gardens is named after well-known medical physician, Dr John Springthorpe.
The gates on the corner of Tuckett Street and Neerim Road were the original lodge gates of the Royal Melbourne Hospital. In 1910, they were presented to Springthorpe in appreciation for his services. For many years they marked the entrance to his property at what is now Joyous Gard Court. When he died in 1933 his house was demolished and the gates were donated to Caulfield Council.
Dog leash information
Springthorpe Gardens is an on-leash area at all times.
Springthorpe Gardens is undergoing works in the next few months. The works include:
- construction of a new arbour.
These works are part of reinstatement works now that the Murrumbeena Flood Mitigation Project is complete and recommendations from the Outer Circle Railway Landscape Management Plan.
The Management Plan was developed in anticipation of the reinstatement works.