Tuck Shop Take Away has been named Glen Eira City Council’s Shop of the Year.
Announced at Council’s 2019 Food Business Awards on Monday 20 May, the Caulfield North café received the award from Glen Eira Mayor Cr Jamie Hyams for achieving the highest food safety rating after being assessed by Council’s environmental health officers during 2018.
The Little Hungarian Restaurant in Caulfield South was named Shop of the Year Runner-up.
This year, there were 10 finalists. Each business was nominated as the best performer in its particular category,
and was presented with a Highly Commended certificate.
Finalists for 2019 were:
- Takeaway — Telex Pizza, Bentleigh East;
- Bakery — Aviv Continental Cakes, Elsternwick;
- Restaurant — The Little Hungarian Restaurant, Caulfield South;
- Caterer — Antonietta’s Kitchen, Caulfield South;
- Café — Kinch Fine Food, Caulfield North;
- Manufacturer — Charlie’s Cookies, Bentleigh East;
- Club — Yarra Yarra Golf Club, Bentleigh East;
- Delicatessen — Delicious Smallgoods, Bentleigh;
- School Canteen — Kilvington Grammar School, Ormond; and
- Supermarket — Woolworths Carnegie North, Carnegie.
Awards were also presented to local businesses that participated in Council’s nutrition programs Taste 4 Health and Taste 4 Health Kids.
Guest speaker at the Awards was Australian entrepreneur and co-founder of Emma & Tom’s juices, Tom Griffith.