Yesterday the Ombudsman tabled a report in Parliament — Investigation into three councils’ outsourcing of parking fine internal reviews. The report makes three recommendations for reform to the State Government and two recommendations for the three councils subject to the review — including Glen Eira City Council.
Tuck Shop Take Away has been named Glen Eira City Council’s Shop of the Year.
Announced at Council’s 2018 Food Business Awards last night, the Caulfield North takeaway shop received the award from Glen Eira Mayor Cr Tony Athanasopoulos for achieving the highest food safety rating after being assessed by Council’s environmental health officers during 2017.
Bakers Delight in Elsternwick was named Shop of the Year Runner-up. This year, there were 10 finalists and each business was nominated as the best performer in its particular category, and was presented with a highly commended certificate.
Finalists for 2018 were:
- Takeaway — Tuck Shop Take Away, Caulfield North
- Bakery — Bakers Delight, Elsternwick
- Restaurant — Arda Turkish Cuisine, Caulfield
- Caterer — Egg Unlimited, Elsternwick
- Café — Mr Burch, McKinnon
- Manufacturer — Charlie’s Cookies, Bentleigh East
- Club — Bentleigh RSL Sub Branch Inc, Bentleigh
- Delicatessen — Kazachok Deli, Bentleigh
- School canteen — The Milk Shak, Caulfield East
- Supermarket — Coles Bentleigh
Awards were also presented to local businesses that participated in Council’s nutrition programs Taste 4 Health and Taste 4 Health Kids.
Guest speaker at the Awards was celebrity chef Tobie Puttock. Tobie is best known for his love and passion for Italian cooking and working alongside Jamie Oliver.