Caulfield Park was once known as Paddy’s Swamp.
There are no records of when Paddy’s Swamp became known as Caulfield Park. In 1866 Paddy’s Swamp was reserved by legislation as a public park and watering place and by 1914, the area was permanently reserved for recreation.
It has been suggested that this name may stem from a dog owned by the Caulfield Roads Boards second chairman, William Murray Ross or from a livestock agent’s spotter, who frequented the drover camp.
The bronze statues at the corner of the park (Balaclava and Hawthorn Roads) were commissioned by Caulfield City Council from sculptor Phillip J Cannizzo in 1975. It is rumoured that a paper boy was killed on the corner and that one of the statues is dedicated to him. Completed in 1980, the seven bronze statues in the group are The Paper Boy, Mother and Child and Climbing Boys.
Dog leash information
The centre of the park (to the east of the new pavilion) is-off leash. The Hawthorn Road end and Park Crescent end are both on-leash areas.
- Glen Eira has designated areas (marked with green off-leash signs) in some parks that are off-leash areas.
- Dogs must be on-leash at all times outside of your home unless within an off-leash area.
- Dogs must also be under effective voice control at all times and kept on a leash that does not exceed 1.5 metres in length when within 20 metres of barbeques and picnic areas, children's playgrounds, sporting events, sportsground preparation and organised public meetings.
Corner Hawthorn and Balaclava Roads , Caulfield North 3161 View Map