Skip bins on Council land

A Permit is required prior to placing  an industrial waste bin or skip on Council Land.  Council assess each Permit application individually based on things like public safety, drainage and potential damage to roads.

On this page

If you place a skip bin on Council Land without a Permit, you may be fined up to $1000.

I’m a resident

You need a Permit if you’re putting a skip bin on any road or Council Land (including a nature strip, road reserve or any Council reserve). You can usually arrange this when you order a skip bin with a reputable supplier.

 A Permit is not required if you place a skip bin in your property driveway or on private land.

I’m a bin supplier

Your skip bin company must apply for a Permit to allow you to place skip bins on a  road or Council Land in the municipality. If you receive a Permit, you can pass it on to your customers.

Your business can apply for certain Permits online, but you must register to apply online first. You must also provide evidence of public liability insurance with a minimum cover of $20 million, and you must maintain the cover for the period of the Permit.

The location of the skip bin must comply with the requirements of VicRoads Code of Practice for the Placement of Waste Bins on Roadside.

For further information, contact our Civic Compliance Unit on 9524 3333.