Post-war and Hidden Gems Heritage Review 2020 and Glen Eira Thematic Environmental History (Refresh) 2020 — C214glen
This amendment implements the findings of the City of Glen Eira Post-war and Hidden Gems Heritage Review 2020 by proposing to include the nominated sites within the Heritage Overlay.
Bentleigh and Carnegie Activity Centres — C184glen
Amendment C184 seeks changes to the Glen Eira Planning Scheme to implement land use and development components of the Bentleigh and Carnegie structure plans for land within the Bentleigh and Carnegie activity centres.
The Amendment proposes to:
- Apply a Design and Development Overlay (DDOs) on commercial and mixed-use land with permanent controls to manage the building heights and setbacks of new development and ensure a scale that allows for growth while also protecting the heritage streetscapes and maintaining sunlight to key public spaces.
- Rezone some residential land to allow for more residential growth
- Rezone some public use and commercial land to allow for housing and employment growth within the activity centre boundary.
- Make changes to local policy in the Glen Eira Planning Scheme that supports the intent of the planning controls.
- Introduce new schedules to the residential zones which include setbacks to manage how new buildings address the street and adjoining land.
- Rezone land at 99 Brewer Road, Bentleigh from Industrial to General Residential and applies the Environmental Audit Overlay to manage potential land contamination.
168 Hawthorn Road Caulfield North Amendment — C217glen
Amendment C217 proposes to rezone the northern boundary of 168 Hawthorn Road, Caulfield North from Commercial 1 Zone to General Residential Zone — Schedule 2.
15 Rockbrook Road, St Kilda East and 380 Dandenong Road, Caulfield North – C207glen
Elsternwick Structure Plan Area Heritage Review Amendment
The Amendment proposes to implement the recommendations of the Glen Eira Heritage Review of Elsternwick Structure Plan Area 2019 - Stage 2 Report (Heritage Review) prepared by RBA Architects and Conservation Consultants Pty Ltd (last revised 20 March 2020).
The land affected by the proposed Amendment has been revised in line with the direction of the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning. Interim heritage controls have now been applied to these revised places and precincts.
Field Street Precinct Amendment — C197glen
The land affected by proposed Amendment C197glen is 1–31, 33, 35 and 37 Field Street, Bentleigh. The Amendment proposes to apply a Heritage Overlay (HO188) to the land.
The amendment also seeks to:
- Amend the Schedule to Clause 43.01 — Heritage Overlay to include HO188.
- Amend Schedule 4 to Clause 43.02 — Design and Development Overlay to remove reference to the Field Street character area.
- Amend Schedule 3 Clause 43.05 — Neighbourhood Character Overlay to remove reference to the Field Street character area.
- Amend the Schedule to Clause 72.04 to include the Statement of Significance for HO188.
- Amend Map No. 3HO to apply a Heritage Overlay HO188 as per the attached map.
- Amend Map No. 3NCO to delete the Neighbourhood Character Overlay (NCO3) as per the attached map.
- Amend Map No. 3DDO to delete the Design and Development Overlay (DDO4) as per the attached map.
The Panel hearing took place on Tuesday 22 September via zoom.
Council received the Panel Report from Planning Panels Victoria on Friday 25 September 2020 detailing their recommendations for the Field Street Precinct.
The Panel recommends the Amendment C197glen be adopted as exhibited subject to further recommendations from Council contained in the report.
Current status: Council resolved to adopt the Amendment C197glen on 24 November 2020 in accordance with the recommendations of the Panel.
Carnegie and Bentleigh Structure Plan Heritage Review Amendment — C190glen
The land affected by the amendment C190glen includes the following land parcels and precincts in Bentleigh, Carnegie and Brighton East.
- 24 Elliott Avenue, Carnegie
- 56 Thomas Street, Brighton East
- No’s. 178, 200, 325, 385, 411, 438 and 438B Centre Road, Bentleigh
- No’s 181 and 185 Koornang Road, Carnegie
- 234 and 254 Neerim Road, Carnegie
- No’s 1118 and 1084 Dandenong Road, Carnegie
- 1A Toolambool Road Carnegie
- Carnegie Railway Station Reserve Koornang Road, Carnegie
- Albert Flatman’s Estates Precinct, Carnegie
- Bentleigh Heights Estate Precinct, Bentleigh
- Bentleigh Residential Precinct, Bentleigh
- Carnegie Residential Precinct, Carnegie
- Rose Hill Estate Precinct, Bentleigh
- Grand View Estate Shops, Bentleigh
- Carnegie Retail Precinct, Carnegie
- Glenhuntly Tram Terminus Estate Shops, Carnegie
- Bentleigh Retail Precinct, Bentleigh
- Shops, 369–377 Centre Road, Bentleigh
A detailed description of selected properties affected within each precinct is included in the Explanatory Report.
The amendment proposes to implement the recommendations of the:
- Glen Eira Heritage Review of Bentleigh and Carnegie Structure Plan Areas (Residential) 2019 Stage 2 Report prepared by RBA Architects and Conservation Consultants Pty Ltd.
- Glen Eira Heritage Review of Bentleigh and Carnegie Structure Plan Areas (Commercial) 2018 Stage 2 Report prepared by RBA Architects and Conservation Consultants Pty Ltd.
- Heritage Report: Former Methodist Church, 254 Neerim Road and 1A Toolambool Road, Carnegie reviewed and prepared by Heritage Alliance (2019).
The amendment proposes to make changes to the Glen Eira Planning Scheme to implement the recommendations of the above listed heritage reports, through changes to the Municipal Strategic Statement, local planning policy, Heritage Overlay, Design and Development Overlay, Neighbourhood Character Overlay, operational provisions and planning scheme maps.
The Panel Hearing for the Amendment was held on 27 and 28 October 2020.
Council is expected to receive the Panel Report early 2020.
Current status: Council is awaiting the Panel Report.
Murrumbeena Village Precinct Amendment — C201glen
Amendment C201glen applies to the Murrumbeena Village Precinct, Murrumbeena. This includes:
- Neerim Road: 398, 412-486, 504 (even), 453-473 (odd)
- Murrumbeena Road: 55-87 (odd), 88-94 (even)
The Amendment proposes to apply a Heritage Overlay to the Murrumbeena Village Precinct (HO187).
Specifically the amendment seeks to:
- Amend the Schedule to Clause 43.01 Heritage Overlay to include HO187;
- Amend the Schedule to Clause 72.04 to include the Statement of Significance for HO187;
- Amend Map No. 2HO to apply a Heritage Overlay HO187 as per the attached map.
The Panel Hearing for the Amendment was held from 11 May to 12 May 2020.
Council received the Panel Report from Planning Panels Victoria on 29 May 2020 detailing their recommendations for Murrumbeena Village Precinct.
The Panel recommends the Amendment C201glen be adopted as exhibited subject to further recommendations contained in the report. The report includes a recommendation which requires Council to undertake further work. Once this has been completed the Panel Report will be considered at Council meeting anticipated for 30 June 2020.
Current status: : Council resolved to adopt the Amendment C201glen on 30 June 2020 generally in accordance with the recommendations of the Panel.
Council will now proceed to submit the adopted Amendment C201glen to the Minister for Planning for approval in accordance with Section 31 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
East Village Amendment — C155glen
Amendment C155glen applies to the land described within the East Village Comprehensive Development Plan, December 2018 (the CDP), and known as East Village. The CDP affects approximately 25 hectares of predominately industrial/commercial land, bounded by North Road (north), East Boundary Road (west), Virginia Park (south) and existing residential development (east) in Bentleigh East. Seven residential-zoned properties are included within the CDP.
The Amendment proposes to:
- Amend the Municipal Strategic Statement (MSS) at Clause 21.01 and Clause 21.03 to remove reference to Virginia Park Industrial Estate and Virginia Park Business Centre as forming the base of industry in Glen Eira and being the municipality’s largest industrial area.
- Amend the Local Planning Policy Framework at Clause 21.06 — Business and 21.07 — Industry to remove reference to Virginia Park Industrial Estate and Virginia Park Business Centre, removes reference to rezoning land to Commercial 1 Zone, Business 2 Zone, Business 3 Zone and Industrial 1 Zone, and inserts reference to East Village.
- Incorporate two new documents into the Planning Scheme by listing the documents in the Schedule to Clause 72.04 as:
- East Village Comprehensive Development Plan, December 2018
- East Village Development Contributions Plan, October 2018
- Insert Schedule 2 to Clause 37.02 Comprehensive Development Zone (CDZ2) into the Scheme.
- Insert Map 4CDZ and rezones the land to CDZ2.
- Insert Clause 45.06 — Development Contributions Plan Overlay (DCPO) into the Scheme.
- Insert Schedule 1 to Clause 45.06 into the Scheme.
- Insert Map 4DCPO and applies the Development Contributions Plan Overlay — Schedule 1 (DCPO1) to the land within the CDP area.
- Amend Map 4EAO to apply the Environmental Audit Overlay (EAO) to land within the CDP area previously zoned Industrial 1 Zone (IN1Z).
- Delete Map 4DPO (Development Plan Overlay) from the planning scheme maps.
- Update the schedule to Clause 53.01 to require subdivision within the Commercial North sub precinct, Commercial west sub precinct and Commercial north (subject to drainage control) sub precinct to provide a contribution towards open space of 5.7 per cent (5.7%). All other land within the precinct will be required to provide a contribution of 11.4 per cent (11.4%).
- Update the schedule to Clause 72.03 to reflect mapping changes.
- Update the Schedule to Clause 72.08 Background Documents — to include East Village Structure Plan 2018–2031 as a background document to Amendment C155.
The Panel Hearing for the Amendment was held from 2 December to 13 December 2019.
Council received the Panel Report from Planning Panels Victoria on 11th February 2020 detailing their recommendations for the East Village Precinct.
The Panel concludes the Amendment C155 be adopted as exhibited, subject to further recommendations contained in the report. The report includes a recommendation which requires Council to undertake further work. Once this has been completed the Panel Report will be considered at Council meeting, anticipated for June 2020.
Current status: Further work underway in response to Panel recommendations. Next step is report to Council on Panel Report and Amendment.
8 Gordon Street, Elsternwick Amendment — C182glen
Amendment C182glen applies to the former ABC television studios Gordon Street at 8 Gordon Street, Elsternwick.
The amendment has applied the Heritage Overlay (HO156) to part of the subject site.
Current status: Approved by Minister for Planning and gazetted 6 March 2020.
430-432 Neerim Road, Murrumbeena Amendment — C198glen
Amendment C198glen applies to 430-432 Neerim Road, Murrumbeena.
The amendment has applied the interim Heritage Overlay (HO184) to the subject site.
Current status: Approved by Minister for Planning and gazetted 23 April 2020.