We developed the guidelines to:
- encourage high-quality architecture that responds to your needs
- provide clarity and consistency about developments
- reflect your views and aspirations for integrating new developments into our city
- support legal requirements and guidance from the Glen Eira Planning Scheme and relevant State Government initiatives.
The guidelines respond to your concerns about development by setting clear expectations, managing transition more appropriately and respectfully, and reinvigorating our activity centres.
How do we use the guidelines?
Placing the right buildings in the right locations is vital to achieving quality designs. Our guidelines propose building types with appropriate heights, characters and styles in our neighbourhoods. Their recommendations will inform planning decisions in Glen Eira.
We'll use the guidelines:
- to inform statutory building design requirements in the Glen Eira Planning Scheme
- to provide non-statutory guidance to communicate and deliver quality developments, improving consistency and certainty
- as a basis for drafting the Glen Eira Planning Scheme’s building design controls for Bentleigh, Carnegie, Elsternwick and East Village activity centres.
We need to do more strategic work to determine how the guidelines will affect other locations. For now, they provide an indication of our strategy for each building type.