COVID-19 update:

On Sunday 6 September 2020, the Premier announced Victoria’s COVID-19 roadmap to reopening. Many of the Stage 4 restrictions remain in place but there have been some slight changes. Find out more here.

Complain about a building site

Whether it's a major project or home extension, building sites must comply with a range of laws to ensure they minimise disruption to residents and the community. If you think a building site isn't meeting its obligations, you have the right to make a complaint.

On This Page

Noisy building sites

Noise pollution on building sites disturbs around 400,000 Victorians a year. Most complaints relate to:

  • early starts
  • loud radios
  • excessive hours of operation.

Construction site noise is restricted to certain times depending on the nature and size of the development.

Most large building sites will have times of operation listed in their Construction Management Plan. For these times you can contact Council on 9524 3333.

For smaller residential building sites, prohibited times for noise are outlined in the Environmental Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2008. These are generally between:

  • 8pm and 7am Monday to Friday, and
  • 8pm and 9am, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.

Visit the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) website for more information on noise restriction laws.

If you want to report a noisy building site, please call us on 9524 3333.

Building sites that cause traffic issues

Some building sites require a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) if they are impacting vehicle or pedestrian movements outside their site. TMP’s outline any temporary changes to traffic conditions, road and footpath closures and traffic detours.

If you believe a building site isn't complying with its TMP, please call us on 9524 3333.