Are there places available?
Caulfield, Caulfield North, Caulfield South and Brighton East
|zero to 2 years||No||No||No||No||Yes|
|2 years to 5 years||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Carnegie, Malvern East, Murrumbeena and Ormond
|zero to 2 years||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|2 years to 5 years||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
Bentleigh and Bentleigh East
|zero to 2 years||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|2 years to 5 years||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
Vacancies are current as at 22 Novemeber 2023. These vacancies vary across individual educators’ homes.
How much does it cost?
Each educator sets their own fees and minimum hours. Fees currently range from $11.75 to $16.50 per hour.
Getting help with the cost
Visit Child Care Subsidy to find out how you can get help with the cost of child care.
Benefits of family day care
- We care for siblings in the same environment.
- Small groups allow your child to get a high level of attention.
- Small groups means less exposure to illnesses.
- We tailor play-based learning to each child to reflect their interests.
- A consistent educator allows for strong relationships over time.
Family day care encourages your child to:
- be creative
- be confident
- develop life skills
- make new friends
- explore their environment.
Before you apply
Your child needs to be immunised before they can be accepted into family day care.
Visit immunising your child for more information.
How many children at one time?
Educators can care for up to four children under school age and three children of school age. This includes the educator's children.
How safe is it?
Family day care follows the same rules and laws as long day care centres, pre-schools and before and after school programs. It follows the National Quality Framework.
Educators and anyone over 18 must have current police and working with children checks. The coordination unit also makes regular unannounced checks.
Educators must also complete the below training.
An educator must have the following training:
- Certificate 3 in Children's Services
- Current level 2 First Aid
- Management of Anaphylaxis
- Management of Asthma
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Current police checks and working with children checks
They should also have training in hygiene, health, safety, child protection, programming and planning and must regularly attend courses to update their skills.
Visit Qualifications for family day care services to find out more.
If the educator is sick or away
Call the Co-ordination unit and we may be able to provide you with a different educator.
My child has special needs
Family day care works well for children with special needs as the small group setting means they receive a high level of care. The Co-ordination unit can also refer to external agencies for more help.
Role of the coordination unit
The family day care coordination unit:
- conducts one-on-one parent orientations when a new family starts
- checks that children have settled into care
- checks the educator is meeting all the regulations
- conducts regular unannounced visits to educator's homes
- sends out invoices each fortnight to parents and educators.