The Victorian Government recently amended the Planning and Environment Act 1987 by adding a new objective: to facilitate affordable housing in Victoria. The Act defines affordable housing as housing, including social housing, that is appropriate for the housing needs of very low, low, and moderate income households.
Social housing includes:
- public housing
- community housing
- crisis and emergency accommodation
- council-provided units
- short-term, temporary housing within the Transitional Housing Management Program.
Our Affordable Housing Statement (PDF, 496KB) outlines our commitment to:
- developing a social and affordable housing strategy to outline the needs of our most vulnerable groups
- a whole-of-Council approach to helping residents dealing with housing stress or homelessness.
- advocating the Victorian Government to providing affordable housing on government-owned sites in Glen Eira.
- working with other councils to seek a consistent minimum level of affordable housing on larger development sites
- negotiating for affordable housing opportunities through the rezoning process for strategic sites
- partnering with housing associations and providers to increase the supply of affordable housing on our existing housing sites, where appropriate.
- exploring the inclusion of affordable housing in the redevelopment of Council-owned sites.
- advocating to the Victorian Government for planning controls that facilitate affordable housing.
Our Statement of Commitment on Affordable Housing will inform our social and affordable housing strategy and guide our future work in this area. Research and stakeholder consultation will help inform our strategy and its actions. We'll also continue to participate in regional partnerships and working groups.