In March 2018, we asked the community about ways to enhance community inclusion for people with a disability, and what actions could be taken to show leadership, lead planning and undertake advocacy on disability issues.
We wanted to know what the community thought access for all abilities might look like into the future.
You told us that it is important to create strong social, employment and support networks.
You also said that educating the community on disability awareness is important in helping people with a disability to feel valued as members of the Glen Eira community.
We have now developed eight initiatives which could benefit the community. To help us decide which of these initiatives should be the top priorities, we invited the community to vote for their three favourite initiatives. We analysed the results and identified the top priorities for Council from these eight initiatives. The eight initiatives and top three are detailed below:
- Supporting jobseekers with a disability to find employment
- Supporting parents and carers
- Educating the community about disability awareness
- Getting fit, active and joining local sports clubs
- Volunteering and being valued for giving back to the community
- Supporting people with disability with advocacy and understanding the NDIS
- Creating a strong support network
- Improving access to businesses in our local community
We are now developing services and programs to address the top three initiatives and these will be implemented in 2020.