Make a complaint

Do you have a complaint about the quality of our service, or a recent action or decision? We value your feedback as understanding your experience with us will help us to improve. 

Our Complaints Handling Policy describes in detail how we receive and handle complaints, find out more below.

On this page

How to submit a complaint

You can submit a complaint in one of the following ways:

  • submit a complaint online
  • email us at 
  • call us on 03 9524 3333, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.30pm (Tuesday 8am to 7.15pm)
  • visit us at the Glen Eira Town Hall, corner Glen Eira and Hawthorn Roads, Caulfield Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.30pm.

Parking fines and other infringements

To request a review of a parking fine, visit our parking infringement page for other fines or infringements visit our Review a fine page.

How we manage your complaint

We will record and acknowledge your complaint within 5 (five) business days. We want to resolve your complaint as quickly as possible, so we might need to ask you a few questions to help us determine how best to do that.

If we can’t resolve your complaint immediately, we follow our four-tier process that helps us find a resolution.

Tier one: Frontline resolution | Tier two: Investigation | Tier three: Internal review | Tier four: External review

Tier one: Frontline resolution

If the staff member who received the complaint can resolve the complaint, they will always try do so. This might include lodging a request for service, or letting you know if we can’t help any further.

Tier two: Investigation

If we haven’t been able to resolve your complaint, we will escalate it to our Complaints Officer. This might be at your request. The Complaints Officer will oversee the complaint, assigning it to the relevant department for further investigation which would include a greater level of information gathering, decision review and potentially developing a more thorough investigation report. If you would like to escalate your initial complaint to our Complaints Officer, email

At this stage, we will notify you of the outcome within 10 working days of the escalation request.

Tier three: Internal review

If you remain dissatisfied with our decision and how your complaint was responded to, you can request an internal review.

Our Complaints Officer will send the request for internal review to a Council Officer who has not had any prior involvement with the complaint.

We will inform you of the outcome of the internal review and explain the reasons within 28 working days.

Parking fines and other infringements

To request a review of a parking fine, visit our parking infringement page for other fines or infringements visit our Review a fine page.

Tier four: External review

If you feel that our internal review did not meet your expectations, you can choose to undertake an external review. There are many avenues where a complaint may be referred, depending on the nature of the complaint.

The following bodies are responsible for the following types of complaints.

Type of complaint Appropriate external body 
Actions or decisions of Council, Council staff and Contractors, including the handling or review of a Complaint. This includes failure to consider human rights or failure to act compatibly with a human right under the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 (Vic). Victorian Ombudsman
Breaches of the Act or the Local Government Act 1989 (Vic) Local Government Inspectorate
Breach of privacy or an FOI complaint Office of the Victorian Information Commission
Corruption or public interest disclosure (‘whistle-blower’) complaints Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
Discrimination Victorian Electoral Commission
Breach of health records obligations Health Complaints Commissioner
Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) assists in resolving a range of disputes between people and government in areas such as planning and environment; land valuation and building and construction Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)