The urban forest is supported by soil, water and nutrients and provides a wealth of benefits ranging from shade provision; carbon storage; habitat for wildlife; reducing air pollution; neighbourhood amenity; stormwater capture; as well as assisting in the mitigation of the effects of climate change.
Our urban forest will be green, resilient and healthy creating a liveable and sustainable City for current and future generations where trees and vegetation are a core element.
Guided by our Vision and supported by the direction provided in Living Melbourne: Our Metropolitan Urban Forest, the Urban Forest Strategy sets out the following five action areas to enable and inspire our whole community to better protect and strengthen our natural assets:
- Maintain and protect Glen Eira’s public and private land urban forest.
- Grow the future urban forest through designed solutions for trees and innovative green infrastructure on public and private land.
- Adapt to climate change and reduce urban heat impacts through embedding leading practice urban forest management into Council’s decision-making, investment and processes.
- Engage and collaborate across sectors with the community, developers and other agencies.
- Monitor and evaluate the progress of the urban forest, including progress towards targets.
Find out how you can take action to enhance Glen Eira’s urban forest, visit our Grow our urban forest webpage.