The urban forest is supported by soil, water and nutrients and provides a wealth of benefits ranging from shade provision; carbon storage; habitat for wildlife; reducing air pollution; neighbourhood amenity; stormwater capture; as well as assisting in the mitigation of the effects of climate change.
Our urban forest will be green, resilient and healthy creating a liveable and sustainable City for current and future generations where trees and vegetation are a core element.
Guided by our Vision and supported by direction provided in Living Melbourne: Our Metropolitan Urban Forest, the Urban Forest Strategy sets out the following five action areas to enable and inspire our whole community to better protect and strengthen our natural assets:
- Maintain and protect Glen Eira’s public and private land urban forest.
- Grow the future urban forest through designed solutions for trees and innovative green infrastructure on public and private land.
- Adapt to climate change and reduce urban heat impacts through embedding leading practice urban forest management into Council’s decision-making, investment and processes.
- Engage and collaborate across sectors with the community, developers and other agencies.
- Monitor and evaluate the progress of the urban forest, including progress towards targets.