The Carnegie Swim Centre redevelopment will give the Glen Eira community a modern, accessible recreation centre.
Bentleigh Library and Youth Hub development is underway.
Council’s latest investment in future-ready community facilities has commenced construction.
Bentleigh Library will be transformed into a new community centre that integrates Council’s Youth Services and will provide new multipurpose spaces that can be adapted to deliver a range of programs and events for young people, adults, and families through to senior citizens.
The new Bentleigh Library and Youth Hub will feature:
- flexible programming spaces
- independent study areas
- expanded area to browse book collections
- a pedestrian plaza and play space at the entrance to the building
- support services and programs for youth
- a teen lounge
- a light-filled courtyard
- improved amenities
- a ‘Changing Places’ facility for people with disabilities and their carers to use
- children's reading nooks
- a fully equipped training room
- a recording and editing suite.
The Victorian Government, through their Community Infrastructure Loans Scheme, has provided Council with a $5 million loan to assist with the $6.2 million project cost. The Government Scheme supports the delivery of community infrastructure by providing councils with access to low-interest subsidised loans.
Council has also been provided with a $1 million grant through the Victorian Government’s “Living Libraries Infrastructure Program”