Rates and charges
We calculate our rates and charges to ensure you get the best service for the right price.
We continue to operate within our annual budget and we offer the lowest cost of any of our neighbouring councils.
On 27 June 2017, we declared:
- a general rate in the dollar of 2.9597 per cent of the net annual value (NAV);
- a service charge (waste and recycling) of $366 for a 240 litre bin, $256 for a large family 240 litre bin, $177 for a 120 litre bin, $177 for a shared 240 litre bin and $177 for a medical 240 litre bin;
- a service charge (litter management) of $54 for residential properties with private bin services;
- a service charge of $30 for additional recycling bins; and
- a service charge of $30 for an additional green waste bin.
General rate in the dollar
The rate in the dollar is determined by us as part of the budget process for the forthcoming year.
The rate in the dollar is calculated by dividing the total rate revenue by the net annual value (NAV) of all rateable assessments (properties). This rate is then applied to all rateable assessments. For example, if the total rate revenue is $40 million and our rateable assessments have a total net annual value of $950 million the rate in the dollar would be 4.2105 cents in the dollar of NAV or 4.2105 per cent.
To calculate the rate for the year 2017–18, multiply the property’s NAV as shown on the rate notice by the rate in the dollar, which is 0.029597 or 2.9597 per cent. For example, if your property has a NAV of $25,000 the rate payable would be $739.90 plus any applicable service charges.
Waste and recycling service charges
Garbage service charges appear on your rate notice for the use of our waste and recycling collection service. Waste and recycling charges are compulsory for all residential properties, but are optional for commercial properties.
No waste service charges are applicable to properties that have no improvements (vacant land).
See Waste services and pricing for waste and recycling fees.
Goods and services tax (GST)
Council rates and residential garbage charges are exempt from GST, pursuant to Div. 81 of the A New Tax System (Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999.
Glen Eira City Council is registered for GST. Our Australian Business Number (ABN) is 65 952 882 314.