Reporting child abuse

We all have role to play in keeping children and young people safe from harm and abuse.

Council will report to the appropriate authorities any incident, disclosure or reasonable belief of child abuse that has occurred or is at risk of occurring to any child or young person under the age of 18 years in the home, community or a Council service.

Your Role

You should report any incident, disclosure or belief that child abuse has - or is at risk of occurring - to any child or young person under the age of 18 years. Failure to disclose physical or sexual abuse may result in a criminal offence.

For further information:


Call 000 if you believe a child or young person is in immediate danger. For non-urgent matters, contact your local Victorian police station.

For DHHS Child Protection please call 13 12 78 or visit Child Protection - DHHS.

For welfare concerns that may not involve abuse, contact The Orange Door 1800 319 353, or visit The Orange Door.

The same applies if you have concerns in relation to the behaviour of any individual associated with Council. This can include council employees, volunteers, contractors or Councillors.

Council is committed to being a child-safe organisation. All concerns raised with Council will be taken seriously and - where required - are reported to the appropriate authority and investigated by Council.

To notify Council of any concerns please contact us.