The plan includes a range of elements, such as:
- development and future land use
- transport and parking
- types and heights of buildings
- open spaces
- how to preserve and protect neighbourhood character.
Local and state Governments can use structure plans to make decisions about developments, investments and infrastructure improvements. They can also inform community members and developers about what change is expected and allowed in certain areas.
For a full overview, download the Elsternwick Structure Plan (PDF, 48MB).
To inform the development of the plan, we completed six stages of community consultation. For more information on how we included you, visit our Elsternwick community consultation page.
For more information on the plan, contact our City Futures Team on 9524 3333.
We adopted the Elsternwick Structure Plan at our Council Meeting on 27 February 2018, following more than 12 months of planning. We couldn't have achieved it without your input. This milestone established a new policy direction and a 15-year vision for Elsternwick.
We still need to go through a number of steps and do a lot more work before the changes become part of the Glen Eira Planning Scheme. This image gives a brief outline of the process from here:
The links below document our various reports and the final Structure Plan:
- Report for Council Meeting 27 February 2018- Item 9.3 Elsternwick Structure Plan (PDF, 475 KB)
- Elsternwick Structure Plan consultation overview - Stages 1 to 6 (PDF, 542 KB)
- Report for Council Meeting 27 February - 9.1 Structure Plan and Quality Design Guidelines context (PDF, 475 KB)
- Elsternwick - Urban renewal south shadow analysis - February 2018 (PDF, 1.15 MB)
- Elsternwick communication and consultation summary (PDF, 5.39 MB)
- Stage 6 - Elsternwick Structure Plan community feedback report (PDF, 58.6 MB)
Previous Structure Plan documents
Council research and reports
- Assessment of the Economic Impacts of Transformation Concepts on Activity Centres Bentleigh, Carnegie and Elsternwick, 2017 (Blair Warman Economics) (PDF, 5.22 MB)
- City of Glen Eira Analysis of housing consumption and opportunities 2017 (.id) (PDF, 5.27 MB)
- Glen Eira Activity Centres Community Engagement Summary Final Report 2017 (CoDesign Studios) (PDF, 8.44 MB)
- Glen Eira Community Benefits Discussion Paper 2017 (Planisphere) (PDF, 769 KB)
- Glen Eira Economic Analysis and Forecasting Study February 2018 (Blair Warman Economics) (PDF, 13 MB)
- Glen Eira Transformational Concepts Draft Report 2017 (Planisphere) (PDF, 18.7 MB)
- Glen Eira Transformative Concepts Review 2017 (onemilegrid) (PDF, 11.6 MB)
- Glen Eira Urban Context Report 2017 (Planisphere) (PDF, 1.87 MB)
- Glen Eira Urban Design Analysis Report 2017 (Planisphere) (PDF, 3.56 MB)
- Glen Eira Urban Design Guidelines 2017 (Planisphere) (PDF, 4.7 MB)
- Transport Analysis and Forecasting Elsternwick Discussions Paper (MRCagney) (PDF, 3.2 MB)
Other Council strategies and reports which influenced the plan
- Glen Eira Open Space Strategy 2014
- Council and Community Plan 2017-2021
- Activity Centre, Housing and Local Economy Strategy 2017
- Planning Scheme Review 2016 Report
- Elsternwick draft concept plans (PDF, 2.16 MB)
- Elsternwick background report (PDF, 322 KB)
- Elsternwick concept plan community forum 21 August - meeting notes (PDF, 542 KB)
- Urban design analysis report (PDF, 3.51 MB)
- Quality Design Principles (PDF, 5.03 MB)
- Stage two survey raw data - Elsternwick (PDF, 597 KB)
- Elsternwick: Transforming our neighbourhood together - our concepts based on your ideas (PDF, 1.46 MB)
- Consultation snapshot for all activity centres (PDF, 1.74 MB)
- Activities Centre Snapshot (PDF, 8.92 MB)
- Traffic Report (PDF, 11.6 MB)
- Urban Design Report (PDF, 18.7 MB)
- Facebook responses - all centres (PDF, 832 KB)