We asked for your input to help us develop a Masterplan refresh for Murrumbeena Park including a new Community Hub in July and August 2019. The aim of this engagement was to develop a Masterplan refresh that would provide an integrated, sustainable and community orientated vision for the park. We also reviewed the location and functionality of current facilities, while protecting the existing qualities that the community value.
We sought feedback from the community and a wide range of groups who use and are interested in the Park. This included:
- The Glen Eira community
- Tenant sporting clubs, such as the Murrumbeena Football Netball Club, Murrumbeena Junior Football Club, Murrumbeena Cricket Club, Murrumbeena Bowls Club and Oakdale Angling Club
- Reserve Advisory Committee and potential future community group users of the community hub
Your feedback provided valuable information on our proposed changes/upgrades and feedback on those elements that will remain the same and ideas for future use.
This information is relevant to identifying what the community expects from Murrumbeena Park now and into the future, and was used to inform and finalise the Murrumbeena Park Masterplan refresh.
We received 48 completed surveys, 12 emails and had between 40 and 50 people attend the ‘drop in’ session held at the Murrumbeena Park Pavilion on Tuesday 6 August.
As a result of the feedback during the community consultation process, a number of changes were made to the draft Murrumbeena Park Masterplan refresh. These changes include:
- Inclusion of a toilet facility to service the eastern oval
- The proposed shelter nearest to the Erindale Street entrance was relocated to the southern end of the junior oval
- Perimeter path to remain as gravel (not concrete as proposed)
- Consolidation of the two paths at the northern end of the main sports oval
- Detailed Bute Street entrance showing bowls club access.
The Murrumbeena Park Masterplan refresh with these changes was adopted at the 3 September Ordinary Council Meeting.
To find out more on the Murrumbeena Park Masterplan visit our Planning for open space page.
We have been working closely with an architectural team to develop a design for the proposed Murrumbeena Community Hub.
The new Community Hub will provide a multi-purpose space for community use and sports clubs. The new facility will incorporate two community meeting rooms, as well as a larger community room and a function room which will be available for hire. In addition, club rooms, unisex change rooms, fully accessible showers and toilet facilities, plus a new car park, with a new entrance off Gerald Street.
The State Government has committed $2M and the Federal Government $4M of funding toward the redevelopment.
Construction is planned to commence in early 2021.