During two consultation periods, we asked all 16 Glen Eira tennis clubs how we could better support, promote and develop them. The consultations took place from December 2017 to January 2018 and July to August 2018, and every club participated.
Firstly we worked with Tennis Victoria to develop a draft strategy based on their four key pillars of:
- successful tennis facilities
- community benefit
- sustainability and accountability.
We then asked our clubs what they thought.
All 16 clubs supported our pro-active direction, particularly our proposals for:
- dedicated assistance in sports club development
- investigating collaborative promotional opportunities
- capital project funding support
- giving tennis clubs the chance to be part of the recreation and leisure planning process.
Tennis Victoria also offered their support for the strategy.
The first Glen Eira Tennis Strategy was presented to Council on 27 November 2018, with an aim to support and grow tennis across Glen Eira.
Key actions include:
- a facility funding model focusing on accessibility and participation
- dedicated recreation staff to support tennis clubs
- developing a guide to help clubs understand how best to promote themselves
- tennis promotion month over summer in partnership with Tennis Victoria
- advice and support for club development and governance issues.