What we are doing?
Reducing our use of single-use plastics is an important way for everybody to live more sustainably and prevent ocean pollution. Businesses in Glen Eira have an important role to play in reducing our use of plastic items.
The Plastic free Elsternwick Trial is a six-month trial that will engage businesses on Glenhuntly Road in Elsternwick. The trial will support businesses to reduce and replace single-use plastic items including water bottles, food ware (cutlery, cups, plates, bowls), straws, coffee cups/lids, takeaway containers and plastic bags with re-usable alternatives. The trial will commence in early-October 2019 and involve 18 food and retail businesses.
The Boomerang Alliance has been engaged to give businesses the expert support they need throughout the trial.
The six-month Trial will help us understand how we can best support businesses in Glen Eira go plastic free. Change isn’t always easy, but if we work together we can achieve a sustainable future.
For more information, resources to help you or your business go plastic free and to see the progress of the trial, visit the Boomerang Alliance website.
Tips on how to reduce your use of plastics
- Say no to plastic bags. Use your own or go without one!
- Choose unwrapped produce or use your own bags.
- Use a reusable water bottle and ask cafes for a refill.
- Ditch the coffee cup and use your own reusable coffee cup.
- Straws suck! Most drinks don’t need them. If you do like straws, opt for a metal or paper one.
- Use real plates, cups, and cutlery. Remember that most ‘paper’ plates and cups are lined with plastic.
- Recycle right! Separate your soft plastics and take them to your local
- Coles or Woolworths RedCycle program.
- Say no to balloons — especially if they’re going to be released outdoors. They can travel for large distances and end up as litter on land or in the ocean.
Support businesses that are reducing their single-use plastic and let them know you appreciate their efforts.
For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org