School Engagement Program
Youth Services offers a School Engagement Program — this innovative program will support the school's Civics and Citizenship curriculum by providing an opportunity for students to share and discuss contemporary local and community issues with students from other local schools in the City of Glen Eira.
Each term participating schools are invited to nominate two students to partake in the program. Over the course of two meetings, a community issue relevant to local schools will be explored.
Topics covered in 2022
- Diversity and inclusion
- Community spaces.
Meetings are run online on a Wednesday from 9.30am to 10.45am via google meets.
- Focus on introducing students to one another and building rapport
- Confirm House Rules
- Introduction to the term’s topic
- Engaging and education exploration of the topic
- Providing a learning prompt for students to consider and develop a response ahead of meeting two.
- Ice breaker activity
- Rehash of the topic covered in meeting one
- Each school will take it in turn to share their response to their learning prompt
- General discussion about each other’s ideas.
At the conclusion of meeting two, schools will be provided with a toolkit to assist them if they elect to explore their student's prompts further in the school setting.
- Learn about the world around them and investigate contemporary civics and citizenships issues.
- Actively engage in topics relevant to their school communities.
- Learn from industry experts and be encouraged to broaden their perspective.
- Meet new young people with diverse life experience and opinions.
- Encouraged to think critically and enact problem solving skills.
- Supported to take part in advocacy and action.
Register your interest
If your school is interested in joining the School Engagement Program, complete the register your interest form below, and a member of the Youth Services team will be in contact with more information.
Moving Up Program
Glen Eira Youth Services (GEYS) has delivered the highly successful Moving Up transition program to Glen Eira school students for the past ten years. The program equips students, with knowledge, information and tips and tricks to an easy transition from primary and secondary school.
The Program will
- Discuss students’ outlook for high school and explore the things they are worried and excited about.
- Facilitate student led discussion about their expectations around high school versus what high school is really like.
- Unpack expectations around homework and provide tools and tricks that will encourage organisation and planning.
- Identify supports available to students in a high school setting, as well as in their wider community.
- Create excitement around a new important stage of life.
How the Program runs
In 2022, GEYS will be providing 1 x 60-minute face-to-face session to Grade 6 students.
We suggest running the session to a classroom of up to 30 students. GEYS can deliver two sessions concurrently if you have more than 30 students who would like to participate in the program. Moving Up is free for all schools within Glen Eira.
Take home resources
The Preparing for Year 7 Checklist is a resource students can use to help prepare for their first day of high school. There are activities students can do autonomously or with family members to assist in managing nerves by feeling organised and prepared ahead of their first day. Students are encouraged to complete this over the summer school holidays.
Register your interest
If your school is interested in having a Moving Up session, complete the register your interest form below, and a member of the Youth Services team will be in contact with more information.
Glen Eira Pride
Glen Eira Pride offers support to assist in-school LGBTIQA+ groups within Glen Eira to achieve their goals. Glen Eira Pride supports schools by providing:
- Resources (Books, newsletters)
- Referral to community networks (Headspace, Minus18, QLife)
- Lived experience speakers (support days such as IDAHOBIT or Wear It Purple)
- Merchandise to increase visibility and aid fundraising events (flags, pronoun badges, bandanas)
- Support from the Youth Services team (1:1 support, Drop-In, events and activities)
For more information or to register for Glen Eira Pride in-school support please register your interest.