Questions about classes
How do I apply?
If you're 65 or over, you may need to apply for some of these programs through My Aged Care.
If you're under 65, contact our active ageing officer on 9524 3333 to discuss which class best suits your needs and ability.
Commonwealth and/or Victorian Government funding supports some of these programs. Fees are subsidised and means tested. Eligibility criteria may apply.
How much do classes cost?
All classes cost $4.50 per session. You also need a signed medical clearance before you can attend.
Do you provide transport to classes?
Transport is available for chair-based classes only for an additional $3.50 per class, but is subject to availability.
Over 60s chair-based exercise to music
If you have restricted movement, this class is a great way to improve your balance and build confidence. If required, we can also provide transport, subject to availability.
- Wednesdays 10am–11am at Carnegie Library and Community Centre — first floor, 7 Shepparson Avenue, Carnegie
- Thursdays 11.15am–12.15pm at Bentleigh Senior Citizens Centre — 2 Arthur Street, Bentleigh
Over 60s ladies calisthenics classes
Standing and floor exercises for ladies. This class is based on calisthenics, and includes stretching and relaxation.
- Tuesdays 1.30pm–2.30pm at Bentleigh McKinnon Youth Centre — Higgins Road, Bentleigh East
Over 60s fit active exercise to music
Standing and floor exercises, strength training, stretching and relaxation to music. You need to bring an exercise mat or rug for floor exercises.
- Mondays 11am–12pm at Bentleigh Senior Citizens Centre — 2 Arthur Street, Bentleigh
- Wednesdays 11am–12pm at Carnegie Library and Community Centre — first floor, 7 Shepparson Avenue, Carnegie
Senior power — strength training
Designed to improve muscle strength and balance, and prevent bone fractures from osteoporosis.
- Mondays and Thursdays 9am–10am at Bentleigh Senior Citizens Centre — 2 Arthur Street, Bentleigh
Get advice from a qualified instructor on good walking techniques, and warm-up and cool-down exercises.
Mondays 9.30–10.30am at Caulfield Park — corner Hawthorn and Balaclava Roads, Caulfield (meet adjacent to Caulfield Cricket Club)
Wednesdays 9–10am at Hodgson Reserve — Higgins Road, Bentleigh (meet at Bentleigh McKinnon Youth Centre)