We are here to support you and we are all in this together. Our Councillors endorsed a Hardship Rates Relief Support Package to further support residents and ratepayers including individuals, local businesses, local community groups and sporting clubs during COVID-19.
Our Hardship Rates Relief Support Package will apply to all properties within the City of Glen Eira.
Rates Relief credit
Ratepayers in financial hardship due to COVID-19 may be able to apply for a rate relief credit of $150.00 on Council rates and a pro-rata adjustment for the Fire Services Property Levy for 2021–22 if they meet one of the following criteria:
- is experiencing involuntary unemployment as a result of COVID-19 and is in receipt of the relevant government benefits such as Job Seeker or equivalent unemployment benefits. (Copy of relevant centrelink card to be supplied)
- is required to take leave without pay or employment hours have been significantly decreased due to workplace restrictions as a result of COVID-19. (Letter from employer to be supplied)
- has been hospitalised as a result of COVID-19 (Letter from a medical practitioner to be supplied)
- whose business (including sole traders) has been impacted by COVID-19. (Appropriately authorised Statutory Declaration outlining your circumstances to be supplied)
- is affected materially by other regular income streams impacted by COVID-19. (Appropriately authorised Statutory Declaration outlining your circumstances to be supplied)
If you are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID19, please refer to our Hardship Rates Relief Package for further information.
To apply for a rates relief credit, select request a rates relief credit below and attach your relevant document. If your application is approved, your credit will be applied to either your 2nd, 3rd or 4th instalment. You should make payment of your first instalment as per the rate notice issued.
Hold on Interest
Our aim is to provide assistance to ratepayers through the COVID-19 event without creating additional financial stress when the pandemic has been resolved.
We will not levy interest on any outstanding debt to 30 June 2022.
We encourage ratepayers who can continue to make payment (or part payment) of their rates to please do so. Nominal interest provisions will apply to any debt outstanding as at 1 July 2022.
We encourage ratepayers who are unable to pay their rates by the due dates to enter into a payment plan which would reduce the amount of debt owing by 30 June 2022. Any remaining outstanding debt as at 1 July 2022 will attract future interest charges.
Rates Debt Recovery Process
We will make reasonable attempts to contact a customer about their overdue account. This may include a reminder notice, debt letter, email or phone call.
We will not take any legal action for the collection of rates prior to 30 June 2022.