After a number of steps, in late March 2021, the East Village Planning Scheme Amendment (CI55) was approved by the Minister for Planning and gazetted. For an overview of the Amendment from initial development to final adoption, see a report to Council on 20 July 2021 — Extract Item 8.3 Agenda of Ordinary Council Meeting 20 July 2021 (PDF 2Mb).
The aim of the East Village plan is to provide for many of the needs of the new community within 20-minutes of where people live — including parks, schools, shopping and dining, jobs, and access to public transport.
The amendment will deliver a significant benefit to our local economy and provide local jobs, housing, open space, community facilities and a second campus for the McKinnon Secondary College. A summary of some of the important outcomes from the East Village plan include:
- 3000 new dwellings which will provide homes for approximately 6000 residents, including 5 per cent affordable housing
- 4,500 new jobs
- New commercial and office development along East Boundary Road
- Townhouses along the eastern and southern boundaries
- Apartment buildings toward the centre of the precinct
- Transition of the existing industrial and service businesses along North Road to commercial and other employment uses over time
- New retail precinct along North Drive providing shopping, dining and employment opportunities
- A central park on the north side of North Drive, an extension of Marlborough Street Reserve into the precinct and town square on the south side of North Drive
- Traffic management works including proposed signalised intersections on East Boundary and North Roads
- Off-road bicycle path through the precinct connecting North Road to East Boundary Road
- Tree-lined streets providing safe pedestrian and bicycle travel
- A new school to be located along South Drive.
Council acknowledges and thanks all community members who have been involved in the East Village project since 2017.
Information regarding the proposed school can be accessed via the Victorian School Building Authority (VSBA) website