Road closures, crane permit or parking spaces

You must get a permit for road closures, cranes, occupying parking spaces or footpaths on council land or public reserves. We assess each permit application individually, based on things like public safety, drainage and potential damage to roads.

Applications must be submitted seven days prior to works for the following permit types:

  • road closure
  • crane permit (road closure permits are in addition to a crane permit)
  • parking spaces
  • shipping container (includes Pods, containers or the like)
  • footpath occupancy
  • materials on nature strip.

How to apply

To apply for permit, please first complete our Road closures/crane permit/parking spaces on Council land/road or public reserve application form (PDF, 87KB) and pay the relevant fee.

You may need to provide us with the following information when submitting your permit:

  • public liability insurance company, policy number, expiry date and insurance amount (min.$10,000,000)
  • site plan indicating the location of works and affected properties (evidence of letter drop will be required)
  • dilapidation survey plan
  • VicRoads approval
  • Yarra Trams approval
  • consent of neighbouring properties (letter drop including evidence of affected properties contacted)
  • Traffic Management Safety Plan
  • Open space permit (if occupying Council’s parks a separate permit may be obtained from Council’s facilities booking officer on 9524 3333).

For further information, contact our Civic Compliance Unit on 9524 3333.