What is the Maternal and Child Health (MCH) service?
The MCH service is a free service for parents and carers with children aged from birth to school years. It’s provided by MCH nurses, who are also registered nurses and midwives.
MCH is a family-focused service which offers guidance, support and practical information in parenting, maternal health and family wellbeing.
When you have a baby a local MCH nurse will contact you to arrange a home visit. We will also make future appointments at your local MCH centre. Consultations are between 30 and 60 minutes depending on the age of your child. You can also organise extra visits.
If your family has additional needs, our Enhanced Maternal and Child Health Service can visit your family and offer in-home support.
MCH centres also have new parent groups, which can be an important social network for you and your child.
Please call 9524 3403 between 8.30am and 5pm to connect with a nurse.
How do we help?
Our maternal and child health nurses can help with:
- breastfeeding and nutrition advice
- the health and physical development of your baby or child
- child safety and injury prevention
- keeping your family healthy
- oral health
- playgroups and kindergarten enrolment
- parent education talks
- our new parents' group.
Key ages and stages
Health and development assessments are scheduled for the following ages:
- 2 weeks
- 4 weeks
- 8 weeks
- 4 months
- 8 months
- 12 months
- 18 months
- 2 years
- 3.5 years
These free 10 minute drop-in sessions are available for families living in Glen Eira. The sessions don't include:
- key age and stage assessments
- families who are visiting centres for the first time.
Visit one of our centres
There are seven maternal and child health centres in Glen Eira. To see a nurse at one of our centres you can:
- make an appointment by calling 9524 3333
- come to one of our regular 10-minute open sessions, scheduled at certain times during the week (see table below). You don't need to make an appointment, just turn up.
General opening hours vary between centres. They're generally 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday, with appointments available between 9am and 4pm. Saturday appointments are available, for further information contact 9524 3403.
This table gives you our centres' location details, and the times allocated for open sessions.
|Bentleigh Maternal and Child Health||542 Centre Road, Bentleigh||Monday, 9am–12pm|
|Elsternwick Maternal and Child Health||274–276 Glen Eira Road, Elsternwick||Thursday, 10am–12pm|
|Glen Huntly Maternal and Child Health||Corner Royal and Rosedale Avenues, Glen Huntly||Friday, 9am–12pm|
|McKinnon Maternal and Child Health Centre||186 McKinnon Road, McKinnon||Thursday, 2pm–4pm|
|Moorleigh Community Village||92 Bignell Road, Bentleigh East||Wednesday, 2pm–4pm|
|Murrumbeena Maternal and Child Health||107 Murrumbeena Road, Murrumbeena||Tuesday, 1.30pm–4pm|
|Caulfield Maternal and Child Health||Corner Glen Eira and Hawthorn Roads, Caulfield||Tuesday, 10am–12pm|
Get after-hours help
You can contact a 24-hour maternal and child health telephone service. Please call 13 22 29 at any time. For all emergencies call triple zero (000).
Download the free MCH App
The Victorian Government's free MCH App is a fantastic resource for you and your family. You can find information relevant to your child's age and development, and speak to a Virtual MCH Nurse.
Support programs and educational talks
We offer a range of support programs and educational talks, including:
- Settling in talk
- Food in the first 12 months
- Breastfeeding Support Service
- Magical mealtimes
- Resuscitation (CPR) session for babies
- 2+ connect playgroup
- Smalltalk- Supported playgroup
- Dads’ playgroup
- Women after Gestational Diabetes Program.
We run parenting talks throughout the year on a range of topics. For upcoming talks, visit our What's On events page.
Other useful contacts
- Poisons Information Centre: 13 11 26
- Australian Breastfeeding Association Breast Feeding Helpline: 1800 686 268
- Child First Family Solutions: 1300 721 383
- Child Protection Crisis Line: 13 12 78
- Parent Line: 13 22 89
- Kidsafe: 03 9427 1008
- Kids Helpline: 1800 551 800
- Panda: Post & Antenatal Depression Association: 1300 726 306
- Beyond Baby Blues: 1300 224 636
- Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre: 1800 015 188
- Jewish Taskforce Against Family Violence: 9523 2100
- Women after Gestational Diabetes: 8532 1837
- Royal Children's Hospital - kids health info fact sheets
- Raising Children - the Australian parenting website
- health.vic - immunisation
- Australian Breastfeeding Association
- Lactation Consultants of Australia and New Zealand
- Healthy Kids NSW
- Playgroup Victoria
Give us feedback
We welcome your suggestions on how we can improve our services. To give us feedback, email MCHCoordination@gleneira.vic.gov.au