At Glen Eira, we take a zero-tolerance approach to racism. As a commitment to this we have taken the following actions:
- Hosted the Together We Stand breakfast forum in partnership with the Anti-Defamation Commission and developed and signed the below joint statement.
- Website hosting of the Reporting Racism Tool for the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
- Official endorsement of anti-racism campaign: It stops with me
Together We Stand joint statement
As community leaders we recognise that we have a responsibility to build a society that celebrates difference and promotes harmonious coexistence among peoples of varying religious faiths, ethnicities, genders, ages, sexual orientation and walks of life.
Together We Stand, united in our support for the freedom of individuals to express their religious and cultural beliefs and practices in safety, by:
- Declaring that all forms of racism and discrimination directed at people on the basis of their culture, faith,gender, age, ability or sexuality are fundamentally incompatible with Australia’s enduring ideals and valuesof inclusivity, pluralism and respect.
- Speaking out to challenge and confront bigotry and discrimination whenever and wherever it surfaces.
- Educating and raising awareness so as to promote harmony, inclusion and the vital importance of always standing up to hatred.
We pledge to work together across our communities, to embrace an Australia which revels in its diversity and ensures dignity and opportunity for all.
We have recently developed a series of videos, highlighting the work we and our partners are undertaking to take action against racism and discrimination in all its forms.