When you start a new business you may need various permits, depending on the type of business.
We've created a Permit Navigator (PDF, 344KB) to help you work out which permits you need to apply for, and how many.
I think I need more than one permit
If you think you may need more than one permit:
- Fill in our Business support services form.
- Within 7-10 days, we will forward clear instructions on how to proceed. From this point on you will then deal directly with a person in each relevant department, however, you may contact your Concierge Officer at any time with any questions you may have.
I only need one permit
If you've completed our Permit Navigator and discovered you only need one permit, please refer to the links below and apply for the relevant permit directly with the issuing department (Planning, Environmental Health, or Local Laws).
If you have any questions about your permit, please contact that department directly on 9524 3333. If you know which permits you need, please apply below:
- Apply for a Planning Permit (registration required)
- Apply for Footpath Trading Permit (start by entering the location for the permit)
- Apply for a Food Business Permit
- Apply for a Health and Wellbeing Business permit
- Apply for a Prescribed Accommodation Business permit
If you need to complete more than one form, you'll need to enter some information like your name and address more than once. We’re working on a way to reduce the duplication, but until then, thank you for your patience.
Note: if you require a Building Permit, please refer to the additional information below, or you can find a list of registered private building surveyors on the Victorian Building Authority’s website.